I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Saturday, April 23, 2005

A Beautiful Smile:)

We have just had an amazing week in Nth Carolina.We arrived on Friday and went out to eat at Cracker Barrow.The meal was huge! Millies son Jason and his girlfriend Angela came too and I was so excited to see all the cool things at the shop after wed eaten..oh I could have bought SO much at Cracker Barrow..its so countryish and olde worldy.I wanted a patchwork quilt I saw but there wasnt one big enough for the bed so I just longed for it instead.
The next day we went on a drive to Mount Airie.We passed through the most beautiful countryside of green and reds,blooming dogwoods,redbuds,umbrella trees and huge wild rhododenrums.The road signs pointed to places called Stoneville;)Tobaccoville,Stuartville etc.We went to Mt Pilot and walked around and I had my photo taken at Floyds Barber shop that had been there for 86 years.This is the town that the Andy Griffith show is named after and has all the things in the shops that was exactly like the TV show! There were the most gorgeous old houses in mint condition all restored..lovely porches with swings on where you can sit and watch the world go by.It felt like going back in time 50 yrs.
On the way home we called into Winston-Salem.The town is like 150 yrs old with some of the houses having the date of 1730 etc.We came across a village where theres an original bakery with the women still dressed in long dresses and aprons and bonnets! Making cakes and cookies in the original wood burning ovens.They are Moravian people.
Each night after dinner we would sit on Phil and Millies huge deck drinking wine and talking of the past and watching the horses grazing quietly near by.Thier house is a mansion!! Its huge, red brick,about 3 stories and looks like the mansions Ive always imagined the rich country folk to live in...its timeless elegance.The home could be 200 yrs old but its not.
The following day we went into Phils dental surgery and he gave me the most wonderful present Ive ever had.A beautiful white smile:)He fixed my teeth and when he showed me in the mirror,I burst out crying.Thankyu Phil from the bottom of my heart.
I have lots more stories and funny things to share but Im still exhausted from all the travelling.But I have another wonderful 2 friends.Phillip is the sweetest husband any woman could wish for and Millies like a sister.Shes funny and kind and we got on so well.We think alike so our men laughed a lot...I was sad to leave them.
But they will come to NZ and I cant wait to see them again.Cheers for the memories:)

posted by butterflies @ 10:02 AM

4 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, I'm so glad you made it there. One of my best friends lives near Mt. Pilot. She grew up there, and just recently moved back from CA.

Post a photo of your new smile.

Diane

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like a little piece of americana heaven. nice post :) I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and got the gift of a brighter smile.. cheers sister!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Sounds like a perfect get away!! Glad that you are back, and that you had such a good time in Nth Carolina.

It certainly sounds like heaven. I'm sure your friends will appreciate the New Zealand countryside too!!

Polar Bear

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

What a wonderful gift!! Can't wait to see you. Sounds like you had a wonderful, restful trip. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with Phil & Millie.
Blessed be....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003