I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Friday, December 09, 2005

Reflections

It was Christmas Eve 1967 when my Mum came home from the hospital with my sister.She handed her to me and she said*heres your baby*...I was 11 years old.I can still smell her in my mind,still feel her soft skin and still see her brilliant blue eyes that looked at me.It was the most perfect Christmas ever.She was born on Christmas Eve just like Jesus and I thought I was so special that my mother would give me her baby....as the years went by I took her everywhere.I had named her Catherine,but we all called her Cathy.I bathed her,took her out in the pushchair every day after school and showed her off to anyone who was interested.I was so proud.
I adored her..we slept in the same room and every morning she would climb into my bed and snuggle into me and crawl under the blankets to the end of the bed.I told her there was a monster down there called Sebastian so she better get back up the top...she would giggle and say she loved monsters.
Then one day when she was 8 years old she was crossing the road after being at Girls Brigade and was hit by a car,throwing her 60 ft into the air and onto the other lane.She never woke up again.She died in hospital 2 weeks later after an agonising family decision to remove her life support.She went to live in heaven. I cried for years.My heart broke and I turned inwards.A sadness came over me that never left.
Christmas has never been the same for me since.

posted by butterflies @ 10:12 AM

3 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

How tragic. I am sooo sorry that this happened to you & your beloved sister. Life sucks sometimes, but you have such wonderful memories. I cry with you today in your sorrow.
I love you sister-friend!
I know the angels sing sweeter & God smiles more because Cathy is there.
Blessed be...

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger butterflies said...

Thanks D..your right of course.My Cathy is in heaven with my Dad and they probably go fishing every day..Ive really had the blues this last week and it showed in this post.Im sad that this will be my last Xmas with my James and have been crying a lot..
but today I must smile and be happy.I am blessed that he is still with me and I will kiss him all day:)
Xmas is for families,its not about me.I love you too sister-friend.Your a shining light in my world and I thank youxxxx

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and touching story. I'm so sorry that you had to endure such a tragedy. You are such a strong and loving woman, in spite of so much. Sending love and warmth to you (and James!)

Love,
S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003