I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Texting

I never ever thought I would do texting.My son texts all the time and kept telling me that I needed to.When I asked him why I needed to he said that its easier than having a ph call and you dont have to answer if you dont want to.A bit like direct chat on msn..It never appealed to me.Then one day him and I were having lunch at the Gardens while his son sprinted around and around the lake,waving to us as he whizzed past...Jake said Look Mum its easy to text..just try it.He showed me how to send a message and that was it.Ive been doing it ever since! I get texts during the day saying *nice rain* or *be home in 10* or I text him and say *dinners ready*..I send txts to lots of friends now and it is so much quicker and easier than having a long ph convo..Yesterday,the kid txt me to tell me she needed to go to the doctor because she was spewing and had a really sore throat.I couldnt leave James and Cori didnt want me to take James anyway in case he caught a bug off her so I textd my S-I-L who got my Mum and they both took the kid to the clinic where she ws diagnosed with a strep throat and (girls pains)..The whole time she was at the clinic she was txting me saying*Im still waiting*...*names been called* then..*doc sez throat infec*...and it makes it all very easy to communicate.
I gave the kid a ph to take with her while she stays at her friends because I thought maybe theres some issues that she may want to talk over..about James or going to the states or whatever...Now I have to txt her and say *ring up!!*...so we can hear her voice!..the good thing about txting is that theres no volume.No-one can yell at you and its much easier to argue..heh. and the really nice thing is getting txt from my children saying *nite Mum,love you*.
We have all tried,as a family,to teach my Mum (76) to text but weve all failed.Its SO annoying! She wont even turn the bloody ph on because she thinks it uses power! ARRGH..she asked me why no-one txts her and I try to explain that the ph needs to be ON..so she finally got that part.Now I get a text and it says MUM...and no message! So I have to phone her to ask her if shes been trying to text me!..when I was living in the states she finally learnt how to chat to me on msn and send emails but there were no spaces so Id get a message that would say...ivebeentochurchandnowimgoingtochiorpractice! I learned how to decipher it.
Im so glad that Im moving with the times:)

posted by butterflies @ 5:16 PM

7 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

I'd agree that texting is a lot more convenient. Cheaper too, than calling from a cell phone.

Email is another great way to communicate.

On with the times indeed!

Polar B

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!!
I use email these days ok text sometime HeHeHe
Wish you well
zingtrial

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Yuki said...

Hey, that's great that you've learned how to text messages. I still haven't learned. So coodles to you!!

I like the poem about time, too.

I like your views on family! You sound like a great mom!

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taught my mum AND dad to text too :) it took a little while and now they are right into it. Its so nice getting a "hows your day?" text or love ya text especially being away from home.

Sara

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Had to chuckle after reading about your mom and the frustrations. Yesterday we took mom our for brunch and while getting ready to leave the restaurant, she was telling a story which kept getting longer and more confusing it took all my strength to not scream our "OUT WITH IT WOMAN!"

But I held it together and we all got out unharmed.

I have a cell phone but only use it for emergencies.

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Gary said...

She will learn it if you are patient with her. It just takes some of us longer than others. :)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i hope she is on the mend..and hope that neither you or James caught anything.

glad that you are enjoying text messaging.

i'm just back so i don't know if i have missed many posts...but what i really want/wish for is that James and you are well...hugs and love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003