I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hello old friend

When I first met James and went to live with him,we lived in an apartment.I had never lived in one before.It was a block of apts and we lived on the bottom with one neighbour next door.I soon found out what a breezeway was having never heard the word before.Every day I would go for a walk to help my legs and to stop me going crazy cooped up..(I have lived on a farm with no neighbours for years before that).So one day I asked the chick next door if shed like to go for a walk with me.She said *are you CRAZY! someone might shoot you!!* well...it never occured to me.So I got some good mace.Then I asked her again.In no time we were walking every day,around the streets with no footpaths,down DEAD END streets(we call them cul de sacs) and we got to know each other really well.She was not the type to stay and yak all day and neither was I.But we would have some nice iced tea in summer and hurry back to our warm places in winter.
She was a very hard worker and had a very good job at the hospital doing some kind of research.I started up a neighbourhood watch programme as there wasnt one and I had Joanne help me.The drug dealers didnt like me but I told them I didnt care what they did in their own home but dont bring their crap outside.The place was buzzing with ppl and there were a few other bikers too.I broke up quite a few fights and rang the cops a few times about kids carrying guns etc..but I enjoyed it.If I wanted to talk to someone I just stepped outside into the breezeway and said hello to whoever walked past.Or I would go and talk to ppl at the pool or the laundrette.
Everyone knew who the crazy kiwi lady was and not to mess with me.I was never afraid of anyone or anything.I loved the kids and they all came to see me.I made a garden outside our window and planted it each season ...our breezeway was filled with plants in big pots.Kids used to pick the flowers and I told them they were welcome.They couldnt believe they were allowed!
Eventually the apts went to shit with bad management so Joanne moved out into a little house..We still went walking.Then we came to NZ for a mth holiday and when we went back we moved into a DUPLEX. That was another word Id never heard of.Of course we still went walking,this time around the lake and it was much nicer.I looked forward to our walks and our talks...we shared so much.I told her everything and always felt so safe with her.
Then we moved to NZ.When we left we said wed never say goodbye to each other,but we said*see you again soon*
And this weekend she came to our house!! Shes got a great job in NZ and very bravely made her way alone across the world.I am so proud of her and it was so wonderful to see her again.She cut James hair and we walked over the paddocks.It was so nice.
It confirmed to me that the ppl we meet and love will always be in our lives.And it was with real joy that I could say to her..*hello old friend*:)

posted by butterflies @ 3:53 PM

20 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

you are a gutsy girl. a true friend. a kind soul.

oh my sentiments exactly, the friends we make are real and here to stay.

good.

thank you.

i'm glad you and James have her company. i'm glad she has yours. good luck with the new adventure for her.

B, thank you, i love you..i am very touched, you know why.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

I am so glad Joanne is with you! What a blessing...& good for her for taking on the adventure. How I envy her.
Keep the faith...I love you so much!

Blessed be...

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Lori's Minute said...

What a great post!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Wow. What an amazing find!! It is truly wonderful to have good friends like that. It is also amazing that she has tracked half way around the world to find you here.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

here by Dr. John but you know i would have come anyways, can't stay away too long. got your email, thanks, looking forward to getting to answer..will fight for time later..love you both...love you dearly. hugs.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It is very rare now-a-days to find such true friend like yourself.
Hello, just passing by from Dr. John.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Hungry Teapot said...

Hi, Nice Blog.

Just passing from Dr. John

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Dr John sent me. How nice that you two got together again!!!!! old friends are the best!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

That was a lovely story. I'm so glad you met up again.

Dr. John Marathoning' This afternoon!
-Margie

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

What a treasure to renew an old and good friendship like that.

Dr John marathon running!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

HI from dr.johns great blog

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

that's such a neat story! I'm glad you have your old friend back nearby. here from Dr. John's marathon.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

That's awesome that you've got such a good friend nearby again.
Here from Dr. John's.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Awesome story..

Just "marathoning by" for Dr. John!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Gary said...

That was a wonderful stort. You must be prety brave.Calling out all those drug dealers.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Neoma said...

here from the Dr. John marathon...


Once in awhile we come across someone that we just seem to CLICK with......and it seems that in the beginning you were almost opposites.....but I guess there were many things that were the same. She must be a wonderful friend, and a person who cuts hair too boot..... :):)

I went home recently and visited a friend I had't seen in years. I wish we lived closer, I really missed her......hope it isn't another 10 years before I see her again. haha

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good story Thanks for sharing
just comming from Dr John
Wish you well

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

hello. this is a good wk here, certain head is behaving, ;p .. i have been busy, busy. that seems to have helped. i have however, given the topic much thought..i will get to emailing you my opinion.

i was thinking of you last night. i hope James is sleeping peacefully and comfortably dreaming of beautiful things and places..like you in his arms..and that you are alright, as alright can be under these circumstances.

you are very dear to me. i don't say that enough.
love, hugs to both of you. forever in my heart you both are.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Joanne taking Cori under her arm and getting her ready for her tests to establish her grade level after being "homeschooled" for so long.
She would work all day, deal with her sons, and STILL help Cori study! We couldn't ever show all the appreciation she deserves!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY, I FEEL FAMOUS!!! I NEVER HAD ANYONE "PUBLISH" STUFF ABOUT ME! (ESP SUCH NICE STUFF!!!)

I finally got online to check your blog!

Yep, it was from our walks - our theraputic (sp?) walks. Your stories about life in NZ started to etch on my heart. I think God sends people and puts things on our hearts.

Beverley & James were so patient and tollerant with me. I was (am?) such a neurotic, and they were living in such close proximity to my "ways" but seemed to always see past my "reactions" to all the stress around us (especially at the apartments) and see my heart. I really appreciated that.

I am sure glad to see that James is his crazey old self (I say that lovingly!)...that damn disease might rob him of his flesh, but it can't put a dent in who he is - in his spirit.

xoxxo
(tutoring Cori was a pleasure...she was my princess.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003