I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Monday, December 04, 2006

Sayings

I was thinking yesterday about some of the sayings that I grew up with.
My father would always say "the world is your oyster" (For years I never knew what that even meant)
My Godmother would always say "women in green should never be seen"
A close friend would always quote "in every crisis theres an oportunity"
My Grandmother " Time is always on your side" (She lived til 103yrs old!)
My teacher in highschool "its never too late"...
These sayings have stayed with me and come up in my mind often.
Do you remember any sayings that come back to you??

posted by butterflies @ 11:04 AM

8 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

well, not terribly positive ones, anyway.
Some of my mom's favourite sayings were:

"Children should be seen and not heard"
"The empty vessel makes the most noise"
"Don't hang your dirty laundry in public"

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

very interesting question angel. now that i'm being asked not much comes to mind but frankly it is how my mind works. i will have to think and think and think about it lol..I know i often hear words that have stuck with me from yrs past that have much meaning for me but silly girl i'm they escape me just now.

hope James and you are well. that you are both enjoying all that company.

much love to you all. hugs all around. XOXOXOXOXOXO

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says an apple a day keeps the doctor away..
and never go to bed angry.
hope everythings ok Butter.
Love Max

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Moobear said...

Oh there are so many-- that once a friend and I made a list of hundreds that we here in the south (North Carolina)say and most often do not even realize it, but the one that sticks in my mind with real meaning was one that my high school teacher instilled in me.
"To thine ownself be true"
May you and James enjoy this holiday season Beverly. I am thinking of ya'll.

God Bless!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

The only sayings I remember is my mother saying that we were waiting for our ship to come in and God love a duck.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mine and James mom used to say,
"treat everyone like it's the last time you'll see them". I always thought that was the smartest thing she ever taught me. We need to tell people we love them today, we may not have tomorrow.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Go hard or go home!" or "eatin's cheatin'" (ok so those are "going out" sayings, so I havent got to say them for a while).

"Sink me!" - grandad.
"Yes!" - thats me, particularly effective in inappropriate circumstances ;)

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bev, I bet James and Diane also remember one that our Dad use to use. "Can't never did anything".
Guess he was right. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003