I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Civic Award

Yesterday my brother and I accompanied my mother to the City Council office where she was presented with a medal and certificate from the mayor and mayoress for her dedication and service to the community.There were 100 invited guests and 12 other award recipients.It was a lovely cereomy and I was so proud of Mum...she has worked for prisoners aid for 32 yrs,nursed at the same hospital for over 40 yrs,been an active member of her church(including chior,op shop and sick visiting) for 50 yrs,was a friends at court support person,and many other things that Id forgotten.
So had she! She was nominated by someone....in her speech she said *oh Id forgotten half those things but was reminded by my son who asked me to write things down so he could remember to say them at my funeral*...everyone laughed and clapped and it was a light point in an otherwise solemn occasion..lots of ppl came up to her after and said thanks for the funny speech.
Then afterwards we went for lunch and then out to see Mums new house being built on my brothers farm.Its lovely and will be finished after Xmas.
Im sure next year will be full of new beginnings....today I feel more hopeful.

posted by butterflies @ 8:46 AM

4 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

What a wonderful Mum you have. Congrats to her along with a big hug!!
Love to all...

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger butterflies said...

Thanks D..I have passed on your congrats to her..shes still buzzing:)

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds wonderful, wish I had met her. My mom really enjoyed her during her visit to OKC. We are both blessed to have such loving moms, aren't we? They set good examples for us. Love you,

Diane

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger butterflies said...

We sure are blessed Diane..good mothers are the backbone of any family and Im sure you and I now qualify as such:)
Im sending your mum the article that was in the paper about my mum..she made page 3 news! Heh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003