I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Friday, November 28, 2008

Smells

The smell of things really brings back memories..
There are some smells I cannot stand!
Tonight my Ezzie made popcorn in my microwave and its revolting..I dont know why I hate it but it seems to stick in my nose and it stays in the house.I hate the smell of popcorn at the pictures too.
I hate the smell of petrol.It makes me dry wretch.I cant fill up my own car and either have to go to a station where they pump it or I take someone with me to do it.And I have to keep the windows wound up.Its strange cos I was raised by a mechanic father who always smelled of something enginey and I adored him.
I hate the smell of mould.It makes me cough and wheeze.I hate stale air too.
I hate the smell of bleach,of newly tarsealed roads,of beer breathe,of old sweat.
They all make me feel negative.
BUT...there are some smells I LOVE!
I love jasmine,roses,fresh cut grass,the beach,roast dinners cooking,toast,coffee,the perfume I always wear (Aromatics by Clinique),lux soap,bananas,cheese,...I love the smell of Ezzie when hes just had a shower,I love the smell of babies,furniture polish,new cars,new leather,and familiar old leather too! I love the smell of nail polish,vinegar,olive oil,merlot,apricots,oranges.

Memories are evoked by smell...but right now,my house still smells like popcorn URRH!

posted by butterflies @ 8:52 PM

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

baking bread...yum!

hour old coffee...yuck!

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Smells to bring up wonderful memories:

Vanilla
Fresh mown hay
Cinnamon
Burnt sugar
Obsession--my favorite scent
Oranges
Apples
Rain



BTW, burnt popcorn is just the worst. Hope the house has aired out LOL.


Blessed be...

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

I hate the smell of popcorn too! It makes me really nauseous when I go to the movies too. I don't really like to eat popcorn either.

Smells I love - coffee!!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger country girl said...

The smell of microwaved popcorn takes a long time to get out of the house. I think it gets absorbed into the walls of the microwave. One of my favorite smells is cooking garlic. It is just the best. Naturally I cook with it a lot.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I love the smell of pop corn. It is strange what smells we like and that we dislike.
I remember visiting a nursing home where the patients were usually pretty down in the big common room . But one day all the aides brought bread machines and the smell of bread filled the air and everybody looked so happy. Baking bread and old memories.
Well hang on to yours. They are special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003