I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Friends Forever


This past week I had my girlfriend come to stay..we have been friends since we were 15 and nothing has ever come bewteen us.We have never had an arguement or a disagreement.We have had times where we dont see each other for a while because of places and times but when we see each other,its as if no time has ever passed..(my friend OK farmgirl and me are the same too)..
So now Robbie lives in east Timor.Her partner works for the ministry of education.
Timor is a country in the sth pacific..one of a group of islands close to Indonesia.
For the last 400 yrs Timor was occupied by the Indonesians who took over..The the Timorese ppl decided that they wanted their independence.The Indonesians didnt take it kindly.There was a horrible nasty war..so the United Nations stepped in and made them leave.They left with a scorched earth policy,burning down the schools,libraries,govt buildings and bombed the bridges and the roads..The inferstructure of Tomor was totally destroyed.The ppl have to go to school where theres no toilets or running water or even books.They are poor...the fighting still goes on altho there is a United Nations peace keeping force there now of which NZ is one of the contributaries.
Robbie lives in an apt building which is newly built and has guards on the gates.Its not safe to go for a walk.But shes helping to make a difference..she takes pics of the kids and shows them to which their reaction is amazement as theyve never seen themselves before (no mirrors)...she gives them exersize books and pencils..she takes their milk provisions to families where they cant afford it and being a catholic country they have 11..12 or more children..in one grass shack.

It was wonderful to spend this week with her.We went shopping and spent hrs talking and laughing.I went back to the doc for the 3rd time since Christmas when I got a chest infection for my present!! Its taken me all this time to come right.It was a virus so antibiotics didnt work..Im finally begiining to feel almost normal again and to stop coughing..I coughed so much a pulled all the muscles down one side and it was agony..
But my small pain is nothing compared to the trauma and devastation that the Timorese ppl live with on a daily basis.Im grateful to live in NZ:)

posted by butterflies @ 12:51 PM

7 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing is more cherished than a true friend....I am so happy to hear you got to share some time...and you are looking well, Dear One!
XO
4

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

I am so glad Robbie got to come for a visit. I know how much you miss her. She & her hubby are doing such outstanding work--I am in awe!!

Glad you are on the mend. I hate being sick. As you know, my Spirit is sick right now but not my body. I am working on feeling better, too.

Love ya so much!!! Have a wonderful week. Have fun getting all those invitations out for the party LOL

xxxooooxxxooo


Blessed be....

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Good friends are important and good friends that do good things are even better.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Nothing better than sitting around and having a relaxig chat with a dear friend..no strings attatched... wat a lovely photo of the two of you... you can see there is a love for your friend :)

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.Yap my friend you are lucky :)..."I keep my friends as misers do their treasure, because, of all the things granted us by wisdom, none is greater or better than friendship." Wishing you will

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Isn't it amazing to have such a great friend?

Yes, I'm always grateful I live in NZ.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

my angel our crosses are our own and can't be compared to others. God gives what we can handle and only so. your pain is real and it hurts like crazy and is no less than such. other's suffering is horrible in their own terms and way. don't put yourself down in no shape, way or form. give yourself credit for all you feel and accomplish and survive.

i'm soooo happy that you found his hands, :)
i was thrilled to read this. isn't it wonderful how after so many months and tears he is still making you laugh and feel his love? see how great God is, He gave you such a lovely gift.

your smile and your friend's light up the night sky hon. it is so good to have the friendship of such good hearts. i know i have you all.
i'm happy for you both for the time you have shared and enjoyed. thank you for sharing it and may you guys enjoy this beautiful friendship for a long, long life.


keep an eye for an email hon. know that i love you, the kids love you and even Chelo saids, woof, lol...

hugs to your mom, Ez and Jake. xooxoxoo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003