I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Car


When I was a kid we all walked to school..rain hail or shine.On frosty days we would break the ice in the puddles.On foggy damp Waikato days we couldnt even see our letterbox from the lounge..But on the way to school we met up with friends and stopped at the shop to get a bag of potato chips...and on the way home it was my job to pick up the bread.In those days bread was not sliced and there was a join in the middle tho not cut right through.I used to open it and pick out the fresh soft white bread from the centre and was even prepared to suffer the consequences when I got home.
After a few years my parents got their first car.I think my father had it given to him! (He was a service manager at a large mechanics workshop)...My mother would try and take us to school in this car.I remember being so embarrassed that I would hide on the floor and make her park down the road so no-one could see me..Then I decided that I would rather walk and get soaking wet than be seen in it..when I talk to my brothers about the car now,they cant remember it!!
Nowadays I couldnt care less what ppl think of me.But then it mattered.

posted by butterflies @ 10:46 AM

8 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

I used to be very self conscious too when I was a kid. I think as I grow older though, the less I worry about what people think of me.

But sometimes I still do worry.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

first it is a lovely car. second, i love digging a hole in the middle of the bread as i eat away the insides..yummy!..

i think i have come leaps and bounds from how terrified i have lived always of what others might say. i have a ways to go mind you but i know i have improved.

i love your memories of your childhood and parents. it takes me to thoughts of you as a little girl with your future ahead of you. i can picture your cute, sweet smiles and your zest for life...you must and still are such a darling...

i go to sleep dreaming of the little girl who loves to live and love..

love ya both. Hugs to James and you. thank you for the wonderful wishes...i feel your love right next to me..

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

That car would be worth a fortune today!!! I know what you mean by childhood embarrassments...& I was raised to believe what others thought was important. Being from a political family appearances were everything. Took me years, as you know, to deal with all that & become ME.
Thanks for the glimpse into your childhood, laughs ('cause I giggled through it), & the beautiful memories you share.
I love ya, sister-friend!! Hugs, smiles, love, & kisses to you & James.

Blessed be...

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Isn't it odd the things we think are important and the image we want. My grandfather used to walk to the edge of town rather than be seen riding in the wagon pulled by their rather sickly looking horse. It would ruin his standing in the mine.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I think yo life would have been much easier when I was young if I had realized that I would someday not care a hoot about peoples opinions of me. I just try to be a good person and do the right thing. It is really true that you can't please everyone. If someone doesn't like me for some reason or another, there will always be someone else who does.

Hope you have a good weekend.

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

little things looked big in those days,
but age knocks that out He!He!He!
Wish you well Nice post

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(love your story about the bread!)

I recall being mortified in the 1950's, being dropped off at school in an old jalopy we called “The Green Bomb”! It was an old ‘woody’ station wagon painted pea green. It was sooooooooooo ugly that even in 1st and 2nd grade, I recall cringing as we pulled up in front of school.

My father always had the ugliest car on the road. No kidding. Once, a few years before he died, I was driving his car (still an old station wagon, but this time it was the late 1990’s and his car was an old beat-up 1970’s velara) and I said to my son, lets see if there is an uglier car on the road. We made our round-trip, and there was not an uglier car on the road! We laughed about it.

Then, when he died, I fondly remember his crazy old ways, never caring about what people thought of him and I wish I could capture more of that way…
xo

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Joe & Karen said...

Its an unwritten rule isn't it, that when we are young we are easily embarressed, but learn what really matters as time goes on. I hope that you never stopped picking the centre of the bread, it sounds so yummy.
Much love to you and James.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003