I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hoglet



Did you know that baby hedgehogs are called hoglets? I didnt either until this wee guy turned up in the garden.Hes only about 5 inches long and he scuffles around...he was so thirsty when I gave him water that he almost drowned trying to drink enough.Its been very hot here and hadnt rained for days when he arrived.I think his mum may have been killed when the hay was done tho of course I have no proof.So when he appeared I googled hedgehogs and found out all kinds of stuff.They are insectivors and love beetles and worms but do also eat slugs and snails.They can eat their own body weight each night..OUr hoglet is being fed on cat biscuits and water.They like tinned cat food but we dont have any! and they love the little purina one cat food so its a very spoilt little hoglet.
He arrives at the deck a little after 6 pm and stays around long enough to eat and makes some funny calling noises..then he walks very quickly(to my surprise) off to jakes and around the vegie garden.Hes so cute and hes something to look forward to seeing..it makes James walk to the deck to look so hes theraputic as well:)

posted by butterflies @ 9:01 AM

10 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post, it reminds me of a similar visitor who frequented our back garden when I was a child.

 
At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always thought hedgehogs are the cutest things. Our little dog, Nog (hard g) often gets called, "hedgehog, nog( soft g) dog( soft g)".
Are they considered pests or quiet neighbours?

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

What a precious little creature. I have always thought hedgehogs were just too cute. What a blessing he is now one of your creatures. I hope he continues to make his home near ya'll.
Have a wonderful day.

Blessed be...

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I think God sent you the little guy to make just one more precious memory for you and James.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Gary said...

We don't have any hedge hogs here in Houston. But we do have lots of hedges. :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i love you.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger butterflies said...

Dr John,I think youre right:)
4...they are real garden helpers.They eat bugs and beetles and slugs and snails.
Gary! you are so funny!!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger MzAriez said...

Wow!

He is cute. I hope he helps your garden. Joy! Joy! Joy!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Joe & Karen said...

Hi Butterflies,
How adorable is this little one!!! Sounds like it is a situation where everyone wins.
Years ago I used to have an African Pygmy Hedgehog as a pet. He ate specially made hedgehog food!
I look forward to more updates on how he is.
I'm glad to hear James is able to get up, I send my love and prayers, everyday
K.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEE! A hoglet... I love him he's cute.

I don't get hedgehogs... just moles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003