I listen to the gentle murmuring voice
Of our city, awake despite the hour
And I linger, unwilling to return
To the television world inside — droolingmonkey

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ice storms


It was January 16th when I flew into Oklahoma City and met James.We fell in love.
One week later there was a huge icestorm,just like whats happening there now.The trees dripped so heavy with ice that they fell onto the powerlines and we had no power for a week!(I couldnt believe that something like that could happen..in NZ they constantly trim trees away from powerlines)...I found it SO beautiful.It was very cold,but the ice was sparkling in the sun and twinkling at night.We spent 5 days huddled together under a big blanket on the sofa..not a bad thing for 2 ppl so in love;).The problem was we had no power,no water and no food.The only place that had power was a chinese restuarant up the street away.Luckily James had a truck which was safe enough to drive in ice and the Chinese we smart enough to make sure they had a generator.We could sit in there,drinking hot coffee and eating springrolls and fried rice and it was wonderful.I remember those times with love.
So today is one of our anniversarys..a special one for us and another milestone passed..Now James sleeps all day and his best time is around 9-11pm..then he can still get me some wine,make green tea and thats enough energy for him to use.
Hes tired now,so weak...every day is for us.
I thank God for Jake,who,without his strength,I couldnt face each day.Hes happy and texts me with I love ya Mum.I need that love.My email box is always good to read each morning with letters from friends who just want to say they are thinking about me/us.I could never do this alone.

posted by butterflies @ 9:31 AM

9 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like the cold of the winter and the warmth of the heart in the mix.
We now have a generator so if the storms hit, we are prepared. And we have the love to share a blanket...and the memories to keep us warm.
I am thankful that there are anniversaries that you can share and those that will keep your heart warm on nights when the world may otherwise a wee bit chilly.

I so admire your strength and dignity. And I so wish you peace and love, both of you, always.
God Bless

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

You are never alone. You are constantly in our prayers. It is good that you have all those wonderful memories that you can replay.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

The trees are covered with ice, icicles 2-4 inches hang from the eaves of my house, the ground is covered in ice, but tonight the main roads in Ada are clear. By the grace of God I never lost power or water (I "dripped" all the faucets in the house-one of Sparky's employee's wife forgot & turned off their faucets last night & their pipes were frozen this morning). Today was a holiday at the University, but tomorrow it is back to work as usual. My driveway almost completely melted with the sun today so I should be able to get out ok. If not, Sparky has 4-wheel drive.
I think of ya'll daily...no many, many times a day & send up a prayer. I love you. As always I am with you in spirit. I am soooo glad you have Jake. I know he is such a comfort & help. God bless him. God bless all of ya'll.

Hugs & kisses with much love to all.

Blessed be..

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Joe & Karen said...

Dear Butterflies and James
A very beautiful Happy Anniversary to you both. May the love you feel continue to radiate all around, one moment to the next... I feel so honoured to read of your experiences, you set such an example to live for.
My prayers and love with you always,
Karen

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Chana has a gift she wants sent to you and I have some saffron buns to sens but I need your address. You can send it to me E-mail at
linnajohn@sbcglobal.net

Dr. John

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Ice storms are great excuses to snuggle up. I've always loved winter, even tho our winters here are mild. I used to live in Toronto where we'd have the occasional ice storms. I loved it. Even better to have a "snow day" off school or work!!

So glad you have such good support around you. I don't think we were made to make it on our own. We all need people.... (it's a lesson I'm just starting to learn)

Hugs
Polar B.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that ice storm, too. It was like being in a winter-wonderland! As I recall, I took the kids (Cori, too?) over to Ray & Barbara's because they had electricity. Brrrrr!!!!!!!!!! But you & James were like hand-in-glove, toasty oasty warm!
xo
JoAnne

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Gary said...

That picture had me confused. I thought for a moment that you were having a summer ice storm. :)

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...you are very lucky to have found and be able to share a love so deep...Hugs to both you and James.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site design by M. Collins, 2003